Friday, November 14, 2008

AG Blumenthal part two

Reply from Attorney General Richard Blumenthal

Dear Mr. and Mrs. J:

I appreciate your email and your strongly held views on this important issue. However, I would like to clarify the position of my office and 12 other state attorneys general regarding the proposed Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) regulations.

First, the letter to HHS was in response to its request for comments on proposed regulations. There is no lawsuit pending or contemplated at this time.

Second, the letter urges withdrawal of the regulations and suggests that the personal views of health care providers be balanced with the rights of patients to legally and medically prescribed health care procedures. In Connecticut, hospitals can refuse on personal or moral grounds to dispense certain emergency contraception but they must also make some accommodation so a patient, in this instance a rape victim, can receive the prescribed health care service or prescription.

Both the patient and physician’s interests must be taken into consideration.

I hope I have clarified my position and thank you for contacting me.
Sincerely,
RICHARD BLUMENTHAL

my response:
Mr. Blumenthal,

Thank you for your reply. That does clear up some confusion. However, I am still concerned that without this regulation, pro-life health-care professionals will still be discriminated against for their positions.

As you said, such pro-life doctors and nurses can not be forced by law to provide services they feel objectionable, but what protection is there for them in the workplace?

Sincerely,
MJ

Reply from Attorney General Richard Blumenthal

Dear Mr. and Mrs. J:
I appreciate your continued interest, and wish to confirm that any health care provider should be completely protected under existing statutes from discrimination based on religious views. If you have other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Many thanks, and warmest regards.
Sincerely,
RICHARD BLUMENTHAL

My response to you all:

"existing statutes"- but why would HHS feel the need to place a regulation protecting pro-life health care providers unless there were hints of discrimination?

Also, FOCA is not an existing statute, but it would in all likelihood undermine the rights of those hcp's to refuse to participate in such procedures.

Keep praying!

No comments: