Monday, January 26, 2009

Letter to the Editor of The Day, 1-26-09

In response to my letter to the Editor of the Day, which I also posted here, is this letter. She thinks she has struck me down when she ends, "Or should we all have these babies and drop them at the door of the letter writer and those who feel the same way?"

My response is below:

Dear Editor,
The writer of the letter entitled, "Decisions On Abortion Are Not Easy To Make" mistakes me. I never said that abortion is an easy experience. I've heard too many stories from the members of Silent No More (www.silentnomoreawareness.org), men and women who have had an abortion and speak of the trauma they suffered before, during and afterwards. I've also never said that it is an easy decision; I've only said that it is the wrong one.

When the writer says, "Or should we all have these babies and drop them at the door of the letter writer and those who feel the same way?" she makes my point. She assumes that because some women do not want their babies, that no one would want their babies. Many couples who are not able to conceive a child of their own would gladly adopt a baby, but cannot because most unwanted babies in this country are not given up for adoption; they are killed by abortion.

I have a question that no one has ever given me a satisfactory answer to. Why is it morally permissible to kill an infant in the womb but it is not permissible to kill an infant outside the womb? Or a one-year old? Or a ten-year old?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is like the hardest site to comment on. Am I just too stupid to figure this out? Anyways, Looks like O'Reilly showed the video last night and Catholic Vote is getting numerous hits. That is the first step and that must make everyone feel pretty good right now. The message on that video is good, and perhaps this will get peoples minds thinking about it.
Cindy :)
Again, your site is very hard to figure out though. hee hee hee

Mike in CT said...

I'll work on making it easier to post comments. Thanks!